|It is against our upbringing to be suspicious and on guard all the time, but sadly these days you must always be on guard.
The truth is, you are most likely to be scammed when off guard and least expecting it.
Here is a quick summary of some key rules:
- Never click on a link in an email, text or website unless you are 100% sure it is okay.
- If worried, call the institution.... NOT the number on the email or text, as it may be false.
- Never say "YES" to someone unknown over the phone. Just hang up on these annoying calls.
- Remember - responsible organisations DO NOT ask us for information or to click on links. This includes the Banks, NBN, Australia Post, Telstra, Tax Department, Pay Pal etc.
- Check your bank and credit card statements monthly and check other financial accounts.
- Don't fall for "FREE" big offers - if it sounds too good to be true, it is a scam.
- Change your passwords regularly.
- Beware of "false tradies" knocking on the door. Check their identity. Don't be hassled and rushed into something you might regret.
Printed with permission of the Editor of NHW 3193's Newsletter, 3rd Quarter 2019.